A triathlete can never have enough gear…but living in a NYC apartment can quickly curb any desire or ability to hoard. I usually stub my toe at least once on a bike trainer, find a spare tube spilling out of a closet, and activewear is always drying somewhere in my apartment on any given day. With the holidays approaching, combined with these spatial constraints, I thought it would be fitting to create fun and fancy holiday gift guide that is more experience-centric. Here’s my luxe holiday gift guide for the triathlete who has everything.
1) Triathlon training camp in Mallorca – Why not combine training with the Mediterranean sun, sand, crystal clear waters, and tapas? Flow Fitness offers a range of triathlon and cycling training programs from group settings to 1:1 bespoke itineraries. We love the ability to customize your trip based on skill level and fitness goals. They also offer a wide range of luxurious accomodation options and handle the logistics so all you have to do is show up. http://flowfitnesscompany.com/
2) Deep tissue / sports massage – Do we really need to explain why this is a great gift? Our local favorites include Great Jones spa http://gjspa.com/index.php and Soho Sanctuary http://www.sohosanctuary.com/
3) Monthly subscription to the Feed- Snack happy with a curated box of healthy goodies that show up at your door each month. These snacks are geared toward the endurance athlete and can be customized to your dietary needs. https://thefeed.com/
4) Custom bicycle fitting- Give the gift of comfort, performance and injury prevention. We love Signature Cycles http://www.signaturecycles.com/#mi=111&pt=0&pi=13&p=-1&a=0&at=0 who can work magic on your existing bike or build you a brand new custom set of wheels for a nice chunk of change.
5) An exotic swim holiday – Pools and laps get boring. Why not work on your stroke in an exotic open water location? Swim Trek provides fully guided swim tours around the world. Upcoming 2015 trips include tours of Croatia, the Slovenia Alps, and the Montenegrin Riviera. http://www.swimtrek.com/Home/Package-Search
6) Ironman 70.3 Hawai’i – Awesome race and location..this will bring a smile to any triathlete’s face. General entry slots are sold out, but there are still IRONMAN foundation slots available. http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/hawaii.aspx#axzz3M3osVuRv
7) Custom Cycling Orthodics and Cycling shoes – Feet sore? Custom molded orthodics can help decrease pronation, foot pain and numbness, and improve pedal stroke. If you really want to get fancy, you can create your own custom shoe. We love the options at D2SHOE, where you can choose from a wide variety of models and even choose your own colors and artwork. http://d2shoe.com/